J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Experience:  23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.
6118667

Can a felony case be reopened after a plea agreement was

Can a felony case be reopened after a plea agreement was accepted? The charge was DUI Manslaughter in 1996.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  4ren6 replied 9 years ago.
Was there any judgment from the courts............? Was there any final disposition of the case............in other words was it closed out once the plea was accepted. What is the reason that it has been reopened.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 9 years ago.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: Accident was in 1996, trial was in 1997,found guilty, filed post conviction reliefe motion with lawyer, while awaiting 2nd trial lawyer told me to take the plea agreement-it was in my best interest
Expert:  4ren6 replied 9 years ago.
What about a second trial.............was this in addition to the DUI manslaughter..........? Did you take the plea and was the case settled.........? Did any new evidence come forward.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: after the 1st trial, i was found guilty. we went back for re-trial on 3.850, before the retrial the state offered 3 different plea bargains. My sister passed away- my mom was having a nervous break down who of which was caring for my then 5 year old daughter- and my dad was contimplating suicide, so i accepted the last plea deal of 3 years probation- time served- dui classes and restitution. It is going on 6 years after my release and I was wanting to know if this could be reopened in any way. Im not sure on what grounds the 3.850 was filed on. My lisence has been taken for life-for something i did not do to begin with. Can this be reopened?
Expert:  J D Haas replied 9 years ago.
My opinion is that it cannot be opened at this time. I suggest consulting with a Florida criminal lawyer (perhaps your second lawyer) and ask him or her this question since he or she already has familiarity with your case. I believe that too much time has passed for you to re-open this case at this point in time. I am sorry.

I hope that I have helped you and that I have answered all of your questions. Please
ask more questions if I have not answered all of your questions.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information.
You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship, and I am not
responsible for your legal rights. The only way for us to be in an
attorney/client relationship is if you have signed a written retainer agreement
with my law firm.
J D Haas, Lawyer
Experience: 23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.