Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Penalties for forgery of deeds & other legal documents in Il

Customer Question
How am I able to...
How am I able to find out what the penalties are for forgery of legal documents, (deeds of real estate), and other legal documents in Illinois - USA?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/5/2008
Criminal Lawyer: jamest, Private Investigator replied 10 years ago
jamest
jamest, Private Investigator
Hi Brenna, forgery in Illinois is in general a class 3 felony.
see:http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/072000050K17-3.htm
The page details what forgery is in
Illinois, as to what specific acts constitute forgery. Now that we know it is a class 3 felony what are the possible penalties?
For Jail time the possible penalties are:
Normal sentencing range is: 2-5 years
Maximum sentence under extreme circumstances: 5-10 years
Mandatory supervised release once released from jail: 1 year

Fines: Maximum fine of $25,000

In lieu of jail time the offender MAY be sentenced to probation for up to 2 and a half years

These are the possible sentences, what the sentence would be depends much on the circumstances of the crime and the background of the offender, criminal history ect. There is also the possibility of a deal with the state, but that differs greatly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

I hope i gave enough information, good luck with your case.
jamest
jamest, Private Investigator
Reply to jamest's Post: Hello James, I like your answer and I think I will accept it. What is a class 3 felony? Thank you very much,
Sincerely, [email protected]
For purposes of sentencing the legislature designates levels of crime, so they do not have to specify a sentencing range for each crime, they simply refer it to a category, which determines the maximum penalties, of course the penalty decrease as the severity of the crime decreases. Each crime will designate which of the following categories it belongs to.
Illinois breaks crimes into the following categories:
1 Murder 1st and 2nd degree
2. Class X felonies
3. Class 1 felonies
4.
Class 2 felonies
5.
Class 3 felonies
6.
Class 4 felonies
There is also a habitual criminal provision which for certain offenders, allows for life with no chance for parole, usually after committing several severe felonies, class 2 and upwards.

misdemeanors:
1. Class A
2. Class B
3. Class C

Petty offenses: max penalty is 6 months probation.
Reply to jamest's Post: Hello James, thank you so much for the additional information about the classifications of felony in Illinois. I did not realize that there would be an expected additional fee. Yikes, I am sorry. I wasn't prepared to pay any more money. I hope it is not a problem.
Thank you so much for your kindness and help. I do really appreciate it.
God Bless you,
Brenna
Not a problem, Just wanted to answer your question, glad to help.
Hi James, thank you SO much. I really appreciate your help more than I am able to say.
YES, The Truth, (Jesus Christ), shall set us free. May you have a very blessed 2008.
Sincerely,
Brenna
jamest
jamest
jamest, Private Investigator