How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michelle Your Own Question
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4136
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michelle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Three days ago I participated in a supervised ...

Resolved Question:

Three days ago I participated in a supervised intervention for my Sister. She is 45 and is a Crystal Meth addict and small time dealer. We had an out-of-state residential treatment program set up but she ran away after initially accepting the offer of help. We were able to obtain a temporary protective order for my Brother in Law and 16 year old neice. We disclosed that my sister has made references to associations with an out-law biker gang and that we have reason to believe she deals at a low level. There have been strange people in the house when my neice is along and she explained to the judge that she feels threatened. We do not know where my sister is and she has disconnected her cell phone. We have searched the basement and found several pipes wih residue, bags, scales, and some phone lists. We discussed the matter with a family law attourney yesterday. Should we retain a criminal lawyer and go see the DEA? I don''t want my neice exposed to my sister anymore.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear CBush6

If you have evidence that the mother is unfit and the father agrees you can seek a guardianship of the child - this is going to depend on the father - if he does not agree then you would need to show that he, too, is unfit and negligent. You can speak to the clerk of the court and get a Petition for Guardianship, read over it and discuss it with your brother in law - perhaps, he will agree that it is in the child's best interest to let her stay with you as guardian - I am not sure where the maintenance part comes in though, unless the brother in law is looking to get a divorce - if that is the case he might want to consult with more than one attorney. Referrals can be obtained via the Colorado Bar Association - HERE for contact.

Of course, you can turn the information over to the local police - if it is low level, the DEA would not be interested -

This is a very sad situation for you and your family and I wish you the best of success,


If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Michelle and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you