Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was on private property on a university in P.A.

Customer Question
the university has its own...
I was on private property on a university in P.A. the university has its own private police force but does not do traffic citations so the officer call the local police who issue me a citation for not having insurance, does the university police have probable cause to stop me when it is 4 p.m. and I am just looking at the campus, I was not cited for trespassing, but it is posted
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2008
Criminal Lawyer: 4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation replied 10 years ago
4ren6
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation
What was the reason they gave you for stopping you.........?
Reply to 4ren6's Post: suspicious vehicle on campus since I did not know the area my first time on campus
You were on private property and based on that the campus police did have reason to stop you. No decal showing would be cause for such a stop. The local police can then also stop you on suspesion and cite you for any traffic citations. What was done was legal. Your rights were not violated. You could argue in court that you were lost and not familar with the area. But you state that you were just looking at the campus. With recent campus shootings the police are more concerned about non registered visitors and the reason for being on campus. Let me know if you need further assistance.
4ren6
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation
4ren6
4ren6
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation