How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jamest Your Own Question
jamest, Private Investigator
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 372
Experience:  Investigator of criminal law cases, especially Florida law. Work with retailers, others, consultant
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
jamest is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Idaho , I used E-bay/pay-pal to purchase a ...

Customer Question

I live in Idaho , I used E-bay/pay-pal to purchase a motorcycle motor in Michigan. I payed $1945.00 for it including shipping It''s been 20 days since I paid him and now I can''t get any responce from the seller. Do I have any recourse out side of E-bay dispute center? Can I file a police report and what will that do?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  jamest replied 9 years ago.
Hi, sorry to hear about the fraud. Also continue to work with ebay, this shows effort on your part to resolve this issue, and ebay will work with law enforcement.
report the fraud to your own local police station. If your local police say they cant help, contact the police in the area where the seller lives, if you know. Register with first The officers may want to be sure you have done this.
Have documentation. such as:
  • printout of the listing, or name & model # XXXXX what you bought & item # on eBay
  • date of purchase,
  • date you found out it was a fraud
  • copy of something showing what you paid
  • printout of letter from eBay indicating suspected fraud
  • letter asking seller for refund of non-delivered merchandise (registered, return receipt)
If you paid with a US Postal Service (USPS) money order, file a report of mail fraud with the USPS Postal Inspector's Office here:

I cant say what the police will do, that is a matter of their discretion. They may refer the matter to the states attorney, you may wish to contact them, in the area where the seller lives, they may be able to give you more information. You may wish to consult an attorney yourself as in many cases the person files for bankruptcy after receiving funds, which is fraud if he knew he was going to file when he took payment, and that debt may not be forgiven.
Good luck in getting this resolved.
jamest and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Is it not wire fraud when you accept moneys electronicly and said items are not recivied? And it being from state to state make it a federal crime? Or is there a dollar amount it needs to accede?
Expert:  jamest replied 9 years ago.
It depends on how the funds were sent. It's a larceny case either way, no matter what crime you call it, it is basically theft. You CAN file a complaint with the FBI, and it may be a federal crime, but they normally do not intervene in matters which local law enforcement is able to handle, and this is a matter which they can handle. I had the same problem when my identity was stolen and it involved 6 different states, but i had to report it to where the fraud was done and the FBI really didn't seem too interested, they deal with matters local authorities can not handle. In this case state and federal laws were broken but, just because they can act, does not mean they will, as they handle larger cases. Keep the ebay process going and I still say your best bet is to get your documentation and make a case under state law.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thak you
Expert:  jamest replied 9 years ago.
your welcome. good luck.