Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

I have a friend that is housed in a county jail by the ...

I have a friend that is housed in a county jail by the feds.....he has not been tried, or sentenced. He is still call "accused". How long can the government hold a prisoner as "accused" before he has his date in court and is found guilty or innocent? 90 days?....what if he is acquitted and he has served all this pre-trial time for nothing.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear mardel

If it is a federal charge it would be 180 days to trial. And if a bail is established that he could not make then there is nothing he can do about the time sitting and awaiting trial. If he is found guilty the judge could give that amount of time in the county jail toward any sentence he might get.

If there is no bond set then that means that the charges are so bad he would constitute a risk to the community and society at large - he can challenge that time if acquitted with the assistance of a lawyer.

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle