Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can a felon in indiana own a shotgun or muzzleloader

Customer Question
can a felon in indiana...
can a felon in indiana own a shotgun or muzzleloader
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2007
Criminal Lawyer: jflaker, Firefighter replied 10 years ago
jflaker
jflaker, Firefighter
Hi***@******.***. Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

From the initial search, it would seem that Indiana has loose gun control laws. A full documentation of Indiana Firearms laws can be found here: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

Chapter 4 lays out posession by a felon....specifically, violent felons.

A note about muzzle loaders: I believe that these types of firearms fall under antiques and curios laws. In most states, these weapons are exempt from registration where registration is normally compulsory. In NJ, where gun laws are strict, they are exempt from standard firearms laws.

I found this @ http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/f/gunlaws_in.htm
This is VERY BROAD!

Caution: This summary is meant for general purposes only. Firearm laws frequently change. Refer to the links below to check the current laws.
A. Child Access Prevention Law? Partial
Definition

Juvenile Possession Law? Yes.
Definition

Juvenile Sale/Transfer Law? Yes
Definition

State Requirements

Rifles and Shotguns
  • Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No.
  • Registration of rifles and shotguns? No.
  • Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No.
  • Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No.
Handguns
  • Permit to purchase handgun? No.
  • Registration of handguns? No.
  • Licensing of owners of handguns? No.
  • Permit to carry handguns? Yes.
Other RequirementsIs there a State waiting period? No.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice law. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information and advice pertaining to your legal situation. Thank you. "
jflaker
jflaker
jflaker, Firefighter