Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How To Write A Letter To The Judge Before I Get Sentenced?

Customer Question
I need a sample letter...

I need a sample letter to write a judge before my sentencing or a statement about a crime that I did explaining what I did, why I did it how I feel about the crime now and what sentence I think I should get. I want the judge to know that I feel sorry about what I did and that I didn't do it intentionally. I graduated from university. Its my first time being charged with a crime. I don't think that sending me to jail is the write thing for me. I shouldn't be around criminal people. I can't learn anything being around people like that. I think that being on probation is and seeing me on a monthly basis is enough. I also support my girlfriend and her kids for the past nine years I will never do anything against the law. I think I should get a second chance and I am sorry about everything.

Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/3/2007
Criminal Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 10 years ago
Attorney & Mediator

Okay. Here is the letter.

[DATE]

Honorable Judge _______________

I am writing you today before my sentencing hearing of [date], 2008.Sadly, I am asking for your leniency in sentencing me and plea that your sentence be merciful and not punitive.Please take into account what I am going to say as many lives are going to be touched and affected by your decision today.

As you know your Honor, the crime I committed was _______________.I need to tell you what motivated me to act against the law.I[need to explain reason for why he did what he did].I am truly remorseful for the actions that I took and I did not have the intent to commit these offenses.

I am a university graduate and I believe that I can use my education by engaging in community service or other alternative sentencing, but I believe a period of incarceration for this type of offense will only be a detriment to my immediate family.

For the last [number of years] years, I have been the sole provider of my family, which consists of my girlfriend and [number] of children.My girlfriend has many medical issues, which I have been helping her with and my girlfriend is unable to support my family because of these medical issues.Unfortunately I am the only family my girlfriend and children have and without me being able to support them, my family will suffer financially and emotionally.As a father, I am involve in my children’s lives and not having me their with them in their daily activities will only cause them further emotional stress.

I beg your Honor to please consider my letter, when you hand down your sentence.Only you have the ability to give me a second opportunity.

Sincerely,

[his name]

Attorney & Mediator

Thanks for helping me again. Couple of questions I have for you. Do I write the letter in the same order in paragraphs. I need you to know that the letter I wrote, the one you worked on a few days ago will also be coming from me to the same judge. The one you just wrote today is form defendant #1. I need the same letter for defendant #2. Both defendants have the same questions that they need to answer. Now these two letters are from two different people, to the same judge and their court date is on the same day, and for the same case. So I just want to make sure they don't sound the same. This one will be the first one that you just wrote for my brother in law. The second letter will be for my husband. But first, I will tell if anything on this one needs to be changed. They are going to see the judge. I want to make sure the letters are not the same. I will make a request for the other one today.

On the top of this letter will be the date? We need to change some things in this letter first, He committed insurance fraud. The reason why he did it? He was not aware of how they did the accounting. If he knew it, he would never have done it, and most important is that he never dealt with the accounting so he wasn't aware of what exactly went on. He doesn't have a family. He has a girlfriend and her son that he has been supporting for 5 years now. The last paragraph doesn't fit him at all .

One more think. The d.a signed a plea with defendant #1, that at the most he will get 365 day jail county time his charge is a mister minor. He is asking the judge to give hem community service. The judge asked him how he felt about the crime?

He said he feels bad. He never thought that something like this will happen to him. He is a very good person and known very well in his community. And that he is not a criminal. Thanks

Hi Customer"
1) The first letter I wrote on your first question to me, was a letter on your behalf. You can copy it word for word and modify it as you wish.
2) The letter I wrote on this post, I thought was for your husband, that is why I included stuff about helping with medical issues. If that does not apply just remove that information and only use what apply.
3) I will create a third letter now for your husband but I need more information. It is very hard to write a letter with very limited information. I need to know what he was charged with, how he is an influence to the family, how he has helped you and the children. etc...
4) I was offline creating this document on my computer and when I copied it over here. It is just a program code. Don't worry about that and just ignore it.

5) I will edit your brother in law's letter, but I need more info for your husband. Again you did not initially state who that letter was for, so I thought it was for your husband. But I can correct that.

[DATE]

Honorable Judge _______________

As you know your Honor, the crime I committed was insurance fraud.I was not aware of the accounting laws and did not know that this was not acceptable when handling of the account.I am truly remorseful for the actions that I took and I did not have the intent to commit these offenses.

I am a university graduate and I believe that I can use my education by engaging in community service or other alternative sentencing, but I believe a period of incarceration for this type of offense will only be a detriment to my girlfriend and child who I am responsible for paying child support.

Sincerely,

[his name]

[Date]

Honorable Judge;

I am writing this letter to you in order to plea for your leniency in handing down my sentence on [date], 2008.

Your Honor, the crime I committed is my first criminal offense and I was not aware that my behavior would result in being arrested, convicted and now sentenced.I have been charged with a misdemeanor offense and as a first time offender, I believe the most reasonable punishment would be community service or work furlough.Spending any period of incarceration would only be a detriment to my family and children who solely dependent on me to provide for them financially.I am very active in my children’s lives and spend time with them in their school activities.Not having me with them will only cause my children emotional strain and they have already gone through enough when I was arrested for this offense.

My wife of [number of years] years, is dependent on me.She is a victim of sexual assault as a minor and because of the trauma of these events is unable to sustain employment. Additionally, I am responsible in getting her medication and taking her to her psychiatrist appointments. My wife and children have no other family but myself and it will be very difficult for my wife to maintain stability in her life if I am incarcerated.

I plea that you please take this letter into consideration and into your heart and to beg that your ruling today be merciful and not punitive.

Sincerely,

[husband]

The first letter was from me. I need 2 more letters. These two letters should be from two different people. It is called, a victim impact statement, the letters need to be different from each other because it is going to the same judge and they have a sentencing date on the same day. This one you wrote that has a girlfriend is for my brother in law he is charged for the same thing, insurance fraud but it is a mister minor. I need this one first and for my husband. I will write you the letter that I want and then you can fix it.

Leelee.
I know that I have already written a letter for you. You are not understanding that I have already written two letters here. One for your brother in law and one for your husband.
You need to review my previous answer to you. I wrote two letters already. One for you brother in law and one for your husband.
A victim impact statement is a letter from the victim asking that no leniency be taken. That is not a letter you want written.
You are misunderstanding what a victim impact statement is all about. Again those letters are to deny a reduction in sentence.
Go back to my previous answer. I have already written two different letters.

On the first letter, paragraph #2, I need you to change 'the did not know that this was not acceptable when handling the account'. He did not handle accounts. He signed the papers without checking them. He trusted the people that worked for him. But he is still taking the responsibility since it was is job to check it . And learned his lesson that from now on he should only trust himself and do it himself.
I would please ask you to add that he went to the university for 4 years and has bachelor degree in psychiatry. He served the army for 3 years as a counselor. Thank again

Below is the edited letter for the boyfriend. I did not add 4 years of university, because graduating from university means that you have completed four years of university.

[DATE]

Honorable Judge _______________

As you know your Honor, the crime I committed was insurance fraud.I was not aware that what I was doing was wrong. I trusted the people I was helping and did not know that this was not acceptable. I should have been more careful in the job I was doing. But I have learned my lesson greatly.I am truly remorseful for the actions that I took and I did not have the intent to commit these offenses.

I am a university graduate and have a bachelors degree in psychiatry. I have also served our country in the army as the army counsellor. I believe that I can use my education by engaging in community service or other alternative sentencing, but I believe a period of incarceration for this type of offense will only be a detriment to my girlfriend and child who I am responsible for paying child support.

Sincerely,

[his name]

The letter for my brother in law is ok, but I cannot write the same thing for my husband. They are very much alike.

Have you read the letter I wrote for your husband? It is not similar to the one for the brother in law.

Yes, I did read it. They are very similar. I need a victim impact statement. Do you know what that is? I can give the judge two letter that are alike. I can tell you what else the judge wants us to write in it so that it looks different.

Yes, I know what a victim impact statement is, but how would that apply in your situation. A victim impact statement is a letter to the judge by the victims of this crime asking to deny a reduction in sentence. I don't see how a victim impact statement can work here, because your husband is not a victim, nor are you. The victim is the party that was affected by this crime.

Ok, Well I have a paper here that the probation officer gave my husband. There are question in there that we need to answer and they are asking us to write a letter about it.

Okay, can you provide me with the info of what needs to be said.

The questions are?

What crime you committed?

Insurance fraud.

Why you did it?

The people that worked for him and they under reported workman's comp, so he didn't know that it is a crime. He always worked out side the office since this is his business, he needs to take responsibility.

They need to know how he feels about this. He feels bad he never thought. If he knew, he wouldn't have done it. This is the first time being convicted. He thinks that sentencing him for two years is way to much. He wants to ask the judge in the letter to give him one chance. He had no intention of doing it. This is way to much for first time. He already got punched by going to court. The past 3 years were very stressful thing to true he learned a very good lesson. He is a very shy person he doesn't belong in a place like that. The state will get better benefit from him doing community service, but if they can't give that we are asking the judge to send him straight to fire camp without going through the a process of the state prison. Atleast give us that. So the kids won't see him in a prison. It will be very hard for him. He is also paying all the restation at sentencing. He has a wife that is sick with panic attack and anxiety and all of his three kids have asthma and they are all on medication on a daily basis. We need them. We don't know who is going to support us. We don't have any savings. I already started to borrow money from friend. I don't have parents that can help me or my kids so atleast, if the judge can avoid the trauma of taking my kids to see their dad in a prison will be very hard. We can tell the kids that he is working in the fire station for that time. Thanks for everything and hope you will never go through this.

Okay I believe I have your final letter. Don't forget that if you wish to have this question locked, you will need to accept, the same as your first question. Again, don't worry about the formatting codes, as I was working on this from my computer.

[Dated]

Honorable Judge:

I have never had the opportunity to speak directly to you about how I feel for what has happened here.I wish to take the opportunity today for you to hear what I have to say before you hand down a sentence today.

I am a man who was convicted for insurance fraud.I had people working for me that were under reporting worker’s compensation and I was not aware what they were doing was a crime.I was working outside of the office and never had a clue this was going on behind my back.Unfortunately this is my business and I understand that I need to take some responsibility.I sincerely ***** ***** regret and feel horrible about this.I never had any intention to commit a crime and if I was aware of what was happening, I would have taken active measures to stop it.

I am also a husband and father.As a husband I have a wife who depends on me to take care of her.My wife suffers from panic attacks and anxiety and as a result is unable to work.So I am the bread winner for my wife and family.As a father, I also provide financially for my three children.My children have asthma and require daily expensive medication.Without me bringing in an income it would be difficult for my family to get the medication they require on a daily basis.Without me, there is no income and we have no savings or reserves.

Your Honor, the crime I committed is my first criminal offense.I have been charged with a misdemeanor offense and as a first time offender, I believe two years of incarceration is to extreme and I am requesting that you give me a chance by participating in community service or to participate in the fire camp program but I beg that you not sentence me to a period of incarceration.I have already been punished by the last three years of going through this criminal court process.This has been three very stressful years and I have learned my lesson well.In addition I have already been borrowing money from friends as I have no parents that can help me financially.As you can imagine my wife and children have been going through a lot.I don’t wish for my children to have to see me behind bars.Incarceration will only make this harder for my children.

Your Honor, I am not a criminal.I will not be able to educate myself if housed in prison.I believe that I can be of service to my community, but being offered alternative sentencing such as community service.

I ask that in judging me you consider what I have written here today and how it will affect my wife and three children.I seek the opportunity to assist my community in a positive manner, to attempt to repair the damage that has been done and to get on with my life.

My heart and prayers go out to you in rendering this decision.

Respectfully ***** ***** sincerely,

[husband’s name]

I wanted to add that if it is not possible to get community service, the judge can send him to the fire camp without going through the process of reception because the part that he really worries is that the kids will see him behind bar. We want to avoid that. You are great. I love the letter.

Okay, I added your last request.

[Dated]

Honorable Judge:

Your Honor, the crime I committed is my first criminal offense. I have been charged with a misdemeanour's offense and as a first time offender, I believe two years of incarceration is to extreme and I am requesting that you give me a chance by participating in community service or to participate in the fire camp program but I beg that you not sentence me to a period of incarceration.I have already been punished by the last three years of going through this criminal court process.This has been three very stressful years and I have learned my lesson well.In addition I have already been borrowing money from friends as I have no parents that can help me financially.As you can imagine my wife and children have been going through a lot.I don’t wish for my children to have to see me behind bars.Incarceration will only make this harder for my children.

Your Honor, I am not a criminal.I will not be able to educate myself if housed in prison.I believe that I can be of service to my community, but being offered alternative sentencing such as community service. If community service is not possible, then please consider the fire camp program. If the fire camp program is a better alternative, can you please not order the process of going through reception as I would not like my children to see me behind bars.

Respectfully ***** ***** sincerely,

[husband’s name]

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer