Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

He supposedly held a man at knife point, forced him to get

Customer Question
in a vehicle & go...
he supposedly held a man at knife point, forced him to get in a vehicle & go to another mans home & slash his tires.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/12/2007
Criminal Lawyer: Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official replied 10 years ago
Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official

Dear CinidL1

Aggravated kidnapping is a felony in the 1st degree. I have provided the statute for the crime and the punishment.

§ 20.04. AGGRAVATED KIDNAPPING. (a) A person commits an
offense if he intentionally or knowingly abducts another person
with the intent to:
(1) hold him for ransom or reward;
(2) use him as a shield or hostage;
(3) facilitate the commission of a felony or the
flight after the attempt or commission of a felony;
(4) inflict bodily injury on him or violate or abuse
him sexually;
(5) terrorize him or a third person; or
(6) interfere with the performance of any governmental
or political function.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally
or knowingly abducts another person and uses or exhibits a deadly
weapon during the commission of the offense.
(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), an offense under
this section is a felony of the first degree.
(d) At the punishment stage of a trial, the defendant may
raise the issue as to whether he voluntarily released the victim in
a safe place. If the defendant proves the issue in the affirmative
by a preponderance of the evidence, the offense is a felony of the
second degree.

§ 12.32. FIRST DEGREE FELONY PUNISHMENT. (a) An
individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the first degree shall be
punished by imprisonment in the institutional division for life or
for any term of not more than 99 years or less than 5 years.
(b) In addition to imprisonment, an individual adjudged
guilty of a felony of the first degree may be punished by a fine not
to exceed $10,000

Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Michelle
Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official