Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

Can you get your own insurance to cover liability for a car

Can you get your own insurance to cover liability for a car you are renting or you have to settle for what car company (lessor)offers?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually it would be a carr with a long term lease

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Thanks so much for your patience. You can get your own insurance to cover a rental car; however, this depends on whether your car insurance carrier is going to cover your rental car. They may not cover it because it's not a vehicle you own; however they may cover it for you.

If you are leasing the vehicle, and you are added to the title as a lessee, then your car insurance should definitely cover you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do I need to have full coverage or just liability and then Cdw with the leasing co policy? Isn’t that more expensive. I get god rates because have had few accidents
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good rates

Whether you get paid depends on whether you have full coverage or liability. If you have liability, then it only covers the other party's injuries. Full coverage, or comprehensive coverage, pays you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Understood but my question is if I can get full coverage on a leased car. Since I’m not the real owner doesn’t that pose some issues?

Oh, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, you can, and probably should get full coverage on the vehicle. This means that if the car is totaled though, the actual owner gets the check to replace the car; however, any injuries your body sustains would be paid out to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What about something minor like a window or fender bender repairs or payment happen as if I were owner?

If that's the case, then so long as you have insurance on the vehicle, insurance should cover it. You'll have to pay the deductible, but that's it. Nothing special in that case.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What happens if there are liability issues after an accident God forbid, does the aggrieved party due the driver( that would be me) or the owner ( car leasing company)?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sue not due

As a condition of settling the case, the injured party waives their right to continue to make claims regarding the matter, so they wouldn't sue anyone.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok that assumes the insurance company pays what if the aggrieved party doesn’t like the settlement don’t they sue?

If they don't like the settlement and they don't sue, then they have no possibility at recovery.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But O mean exactly that if they want to sue that could make coverage meaningless

If they want to sue the the party being sued can include their insurance co. The co. usually has an attorney defend these claims. The sued party can choose not to include the insurance co. in the proceedings if they want to defend the claim themselves.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can we shift to another topic( still auto related )in a separate question I will provide excellent rating

Of course. You can ask away.

Just as an aside, I have an appointment to which I must attend so my sincerest apologies. You're welcome to continue asking questions to me about what's going on if you would like; however, I must respond later this afternoon.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No problem thx

You bet.