Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I recently had my bank account garnished for a judgement…

Customer Question
I recently had my bank...
I recently had my bank account garnished for a judgement form 2011, I was never served back in 2011 and this is the first time I am hearing that I had a lawsuit against me that resulted in default judgement. The funds a held at the County for now what do I do to stop the funds from being released to the collection company
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/31/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 20 days ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (And, please ignore any reports from the site regarding your expert being offline - they are incorrect.)

I am sorry to hear about this situation. This is a two-step process. By this I mean two motions have to be filed. The first is a Motion for New Trial. However it may be called something differently (such as Motion to Set Aside Default Judgment) depending on what the Plaintiff told the Court in regards ***** ***** (did they lie, or did they serve you alternatively, was there some kind of mistake, did they serve the wrong person, etc). This asks the Court to void the judgment and re-open the case anew.

The second motion filed back to back with the first is a Motion to Stay. This asks the Court to PAUSE the collection while it considers the motion for new trial.

Because this is a highly nuanced matter dealing with not only case law but also deadlines, an attorney IS recommended. If funds are limited, I can provide a list of pro bono attorneys in your state.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.