Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I live in southern California and I've been staying at

Customer Question
Second opinion] I live in...
Second opinion] I live in southern California and I've been staying at extended stay america hotel in this August will be my 1 year anniversary. I've always paid my rent and have never gotten one complaint. I work nights and after about 6 months the employees here started letting me cone at like 3 pm orlater to pay rent because they knew my situation and new me personally by this time. Well about 2 months ago they got a new employee and she is just one of those kiss ass screw everyone else over just so she coukd look good to the boss. So about 1 week ago this new employee her name is ***** ***** demanding that our rent be in by 3 pm. She started calling at 9 or 10 am end every hour after asking for the payment. I tried to explain to her thst every other employee let's me pay a little later cause of my work schedule and she said well sorry new rules . So the past 3 days I've made my payment by 3 or latest 3:30 pm trying to abide by her new rules oh and the days she doesn't work it's back to normal i can pay later in the day. Well today I actually paid at 12:30 pm and around 5 pm the hotel served me with a 30 day eviction notice. I was so shocked i went down and asked the manager how she coukd do this to me and she kinda stumbled on her answer and then said she is tired of chasing me for rent. Now again the new "3 pm rule " has onky been told to me the last 5 days only by one employee who is if course buddy buddy with the manager because she misses her ass no other employee has ever said anything. Now of course I give this one employee attitude when I have to pay nothing verbal just let's say another employee walks in and ill smile and say hello and chat a minute while I just give a dull stare at Nicole and I know that gets under her skin big time. So in almost positive Nicole asked the manager to evict me and she did. Now I totally feel I dunno the correct word profiled i guess but it isn't right ive done nothing to deserve this i actually like living here dispite Nicole and really don't want to move plus it's just wrong for them to treat people this way . My question is can I do anything about it and also now that they did give me this notice do I have to pay the remaining 30 days and if I don't can they throw me out that day by calling the police or something?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/31/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your questions:

My question is can I do anything about it

Response 1: Yes. You can still reason with the hotel to rescind the notice since you have been a long-term resident who pays her rent. You should also promise to tender your rent following the "new rule."

and also now that they did give me this notice do I have to pay the remaining 30 days

Response 2: Yes, you do. Otherwise, you can be given a three-day notice to pay or vacate the premises.

and if I don't can they throw me out that day by calling the police or something?

Response 3: No. You would be given a notice to pay. Then if you do not pay, the Landlord/hotel must file eviction action against you and serve you with the Summons and a copy of the complaint so that you can file an answer to the complaint. A hearing would be held and the Court would determine whether you must be evicted.

You have acquired the rights of a Tenant by staying at the hotel for such a long time. So, the hotel cannot evict you without going to Court first. Click here for more information on the eviction process.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.