Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I recently purchased a car (in California) and the

Customer Question
Hi. I recently purchased...

Hi. I recently purchased a car (in California) and the dealership is unable to find financing and wants the car back. I know they have to give me my down payment back, but thats all. I’m wondering what my legal rights are. Like can i insist on getting a check immediately rather than having it mailed, can i try to refinance the car, I’m sure there’s a lot I haven’t thought of. I just need to know what to say when I take the car back and talk to them. Thank you!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing, really. I received the letter and looked over the contract and that’s all

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing i can think of

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/31/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

after 10 days the dealer cannot undo the deal unless the buyer agrees.

Otherwise YoYo financing is legal in CA (though many other states have illegalized the practice. However there is some protection for limited situations such as California Civil Code Section 1750 et seq., which is the CA consumer protection statute, along with CA's B&P code 17200 et seq, the Unfair Competition Law.

So if a dealer knew the consumer would not be able to obtain financing (ie low credit score) and there was economic damage as a result, the consumer can sue.

Small claims is appropriate for cases under $10,000.

The statutes do not address the right to get reimbursed immediately- so normal business practices is normally permitted (ie issuing a check in the mail)

The consumer may try and secure alternate financing or secure a co-signor to help with the financing.

Also many consumers will request a letter of denial from the lender so there is proof that the dealer attempted to secure financing.

Hello;

just checking in on the above.

If you have no further questions kindly rate 5 stars if you feel I have earned it - there is no additional charge to do so.

Thank you and take care!

All information is for educational purposes only; to consult with a personal attorney that can provide legal advice based on the particulars of your case, please contact:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html