Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased a used truck and have lost the title. The last…

Customer Question
I purchased a used...

I purchased a used truck and have lost the title

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

The last owner of the truck is unwilling to help by getting a duplicate title made.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Sorry Maryland

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/30/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Eric. Y., Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Eric. Y., Esq.

Hello. My name is Eric. I am an attorney and can assist you.

One moment while I formulate my response.

If I am understanding you correctly, the prior owner provided you the title but you never filed it under your name, correct?

I’ll try to abbreviate as best I can
The original owner passed away
His bother was given the right to sell the truck
He had an auction company selll it
The person who bought the truck then sold it to me
Supposedly the title was in truck but I can’t find it
The local DMV said the truck was never returned so the bother who sold sent it to auction is able to make a duplicate title but I have contacted him and will will not do so.
Did you receive last message?
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to Justanswer! I will be further assisting you with your post.

I am sorry to read about your issue.

You need to contact the person who sold you the truck to contact the auction company where he purchased the truck to get you the title. The auction company cannot auction off the car without certificate of title. Then the auction company would reach out to the brother to get the title for you. If the seller is not cooperating, then unfortunately you have to file lawsuit against the seller to force the seller to get the title for you or for return of your purchase price.

Unfortunately, there is no privy of contract between you and the brother. So, the brother has no legal obligation to respond to your request. However, it would have been reasonable and considerate of him to get the Duplicate Certificate of Title for you.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.