Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I had a construction company in my home to repair damages to…

Customer Question
I had a construction...

I had a construction company in my home to repair damages to my kitchen. I t was covered by insurance. This company never came out with how much it was going to cost me they mainly were talking to the insurance company. I never was asked to sign any paper work or was given any receipts. I gave them $10;000.00 of my own money to get started. I run a childcare business from my home so it was important for them to get the work done as soon as possible. They walked off the job I think it was because they thought the insurance wasn;t going to pay.They didn't show up for a week and a half. I started noticing alot of things that weren;t right, like I couldn't open a drawer on one of the counter areas because they had build the corner counters too close together. The floor they had installed the stick on tiles were coming up and the underliner of the floor was uneven so there was a bumpy look to the floor. I finally called them and said they shouldn't bother to come back. They found out that the insurance was going to pay so now they are demanding that I pay them in full with the help of a lawyer even though they never finished the job and had done such a horrible job. They are even asking that I pay the $10,000.00 again. My insurance company hasn't even paid me yet because they hadn't finished the job.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None so far I just got a letter from their attorney stating they were going to put a lien on my property for their completed work for the full amount even though I already paid them $10,000.00 and have to pay other people to finish like electricians and plumber that they would have had to sub contract out anyway to finish their job.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not right now I can't think of anything else.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/29/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You may want to tell their attorney that because they did a poor job and didn't totally finish the job that this appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach, meaning a court would require them to finish or allow you to be compensated for having to finish it yourself. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
That is what they are trying to sue me for, breach of contract.

I see. Because they did a terrible job and didn't finish the job, a court would probably only give them the reasonable value of what they did anyway. Thus, you could negotiate with them some sort of reasonable payment in exchange for the work they've done, but ultimately, you should have them come back and fix the things they messed up and finish the job. Otherwise, you could sue them for overpaying for the work. Does that make sense?