Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I signed paper for a new car on May 26. I was told payments…

Customer Question
I signed paper for...

I signed paper for a new car on May 26. I was told payments would be 550 after they applied gap insurance it is $600 I also told them I needed to check with my bank today to make sure of the down payment. I cannot afford this car and I want to return it today May 29

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

I am in Missouri and no there is no one helping me

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I called the finance manager and told him I needed to return the car and get my old one back

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I told him I cannot afford this car

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/29/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, once you signed a contract of purchase and took the car, you are bound to the contract you signed. It does not matter about what you told them, it matters whether or not you signed the contract. If you signed the contract, the dealer can force you to honor the deal, especially if you have already delivered your trade in to them.

Unless your contract gives you a right to cancel the contract stated somewhere in your contract, I am afraid you would need to negotiate with the seller to agree to cancel the agreement and if they refuse they can seek to force you to honor the contract.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Not the answer I wanted but Thanks it was fast Ruth

Thank you for your reply.

You have the opportunity to plead and negotiate with them, which you should try, but the law says once you sign this type of contract, you are bound to that contract.