Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I went to a men health clinic for the first time looking for…

Customer Question
I went to a...

I went to a men health clinic for the first time looking for a medical solution for a male problem. it turned out to be a clinic that try to lock you in a contract for goods and services they provide. They want you to commit and make a down plus monthly payments before they start anything. I agree hoping that this is just standard procedure. They were no diagnostic testing or anything before service rendered. After, the procedure was done, it was painful and I did not want anything to do with this process. I told them that I did not want to continue treatment and wanted out of the contract. I had already paid them 500.00 for that day. I did not receive anymore treatment or paying them anything. I was only there once on the initial day. The clinic has sent me too collections for the remainder of the contract. Am I liable to pay them even after I declined service the same day of signing? All this occurred in a 3hr span. Thank you sorry to be so long.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing . Just rying to clean my credit.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/29/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Sadly, even if you cancelled the same day, it's improbable a judge would let you out of this contract.

Getting out of a contract can be very difficult. With that said, there are some things that you would want to consider that the law recognizes as defenses to the enforcement of a contract. Below are some examples of what a party could use to defend:

1. facts showing a lack of acceptance of the contract;

1. fraud, undue influence, duress;

2. mutual mistake of fact;

3. lack of consideration;

4. failure of a condition;

5. contract is void because the object is either impossible, unlawful,, or "so vaguely expressed as to be wholly unascertainable" or uncertain;

6. Statute Of Frauds (meaning some contracts have to be in writing like land contracts); or

7. Statute of limitations has passed to bring the action (may be 2 years or 4 years depending on the specific facts of the case

Unless the agreement falls into one of these categories, then the agreement is enforceable.

Sometimes, just settling the debt is the easiest thing to do. It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term. In my experience, creditors will usually settle balances between 50-65% of the total balance. To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for debt settlement (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then try sending it again to remind them that settling is really what resolving disputes is all about.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

OK

What other questions did you have for me about this today?

Thank you for your input. I will try the letter. I did not want to pay them anything because of the unprofessional manner which they operate. I was serviced like a lab rat and did not appreciate the experience. This Clinic should be closed and put on the BBB wanted list.

I certainly understand your concern. The BBB or your the attorney general's office may help because it is highly like you're not alone!

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?