Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Last weekend my husband who is eighty years old bought a car…

Customer Question
Good Morning. Last weekend...

Good Morning. Last weekend my husband who is eighty years old bought a car he thought was $11,000. I was with him just to go along with him to get out of the house. I too was with him when he was to sign papers for the car. The dealership had this setup that you signed papers under this very confusing way. The terms and how much , etc were on a desk under glass that was hard to see and understand. I was there but I have a disability with my eyes and he is very hard of hearing. We took the car home believing we had a great deal! They handed us no paper work at anytime to look over or explained how long and how much we were to pay. They gave him the keys and a little red plug in for our computer with all the terms and APR, Which was almost twenty thousand dollars!! Paying $235.00 for eight years! We have not that kind of money for eight years and we would never had taken the car if we had know the percentage rate!Nothing was explained to him and he could not see the papers under the desk or read them. Only was handed this plug in then when I saw the terms a week later I almost cried. I feel this is very dishonest of them knowing he is elderly and not able to hear or understand the whole situation!! Is there anyway we can get out of this contract? Thank you so much as we know this isn't what he came in for .

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes in Virginia.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing yet just found out yesterday. I have been in shock since then and didn't know what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want the lawyer to know that they were very deceptive knowing in not explaining the price of the car. Double the amount that was worth,

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/27/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 2 months ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you contact the dealership general manager to explain the issue and to see if the dealership would be willing to help resolve this unfortunate problem?