Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a car using a co signer and the co signer had my…

Customer Question
I bought a car...

I bought a car using a co signer and the co signer had my car taken. I was told it was because the co signer thought I didnt have insurance plus the co signer took and opened my mail taking the paperwork from the dealership where the car was purchased. The co signer then took that paperwork and registered my vehicle in their name only excluding me completely. As far as I know my name is ***** ***** the loan. Should I report my vehicle as stolen? What legal recourse if any do I have or how do I get my vehicle back legally?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Im in Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I've asked them to please return my car but Ive Done nothing else I wasn't sure of what my legal rights were

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

And they refuse to return my car

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/26/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under Kansas law, you should report this inaccuracy to the motor vehicle division. Bring the bill of sale and the loan agreement showing you as co-signer, and then the motor vehicle department will issue a new title to the auto showing both of you as registered owners. You will have to work out with the co-signer the use and possession of the vehicle, but if your cosigner will not cooperate and takes the car for herself or himself, then it is a crime of conversion (a form of stealing) when they are in possession and convert the ownership to theirs alone.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is always appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.