Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I Have some questions about a situation with my car mechanic…

Customer Question
Hi! i Have some...

Hi! i Have some questions about a situation with my car mechanic and if its theft and i have the right to sue

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Maryland and no

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
I hired a mechanic to fix my chevy monte carlo. He's had the car for a month now. He dodges my calls, changes his estimates and I've just learned has not begun to work on the car at all. Obviously i want to get my car and switch shops, now he's saying i have to pay him 150 for storage. He never stated any storage prices before and i feel this is theft if i can't get my own property back. Can i call the police? What can i do here
4/4/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

I hired a mechanic to fix my chevy monte carlo. He's had the car for a month now. He dodges my calls, changes his estimates and I've just learned has not begun to work on the car at all. Obviously i want to get my car and switch shops, now he's saying i have to pay him 150 for storage.

Response 1: This is fraudulent and illegal. He cannot charge you for storage for not repairing your car. You need to report this to your Attorney General 's Office and your local Police.

He never stated any storage prices before and i feel this is theft if i can't get my own property back. Can i call the police? What can i do here

Response 2: Yes, you can file theft charge against him with the Police. File complaint with the Attorney Genera's office for this illegal behavior. You may not be the only victim.

You may also have to file lawsuit against him at your local Courthouse to get your car back, if the Police and Attorney General's Office are not able to assist you immediately with the case. You can obtain complaint forms at your local Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.