Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am having trouble canceling a vacation club membership.

Customer Question
I am having trouble...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Iowa and no.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

3 unanswered emails to the company.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
4/3/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly provide additional information.

What are the terms of your membership?

What is the cancellation policy?

What is the penalty for cancellation?

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

$700 down payment and monthly paymenta.
The contract has a five day cancellation policy. Entered contract 2/25/18, wrote cancellation letter at place of purchase on 2/26/18.
Have written 3 total emails, one cursory response to the first email, no response to the last 2 emails.
I do not know of any cancellation penalty.
It is a Mexican company called Kivac.
What steps can I take next? I have already disputed the charges with my credit card company.

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you sent in your cancellation notice within the 5-day cancellation period, you do not need to do anything else except three things: (1) changing the method of payment that you provided to the resort when you signed the contract. That is, you need to contact your credit card company and change your card number to prevent other charges on the account from the company. (2) You need to use the method stated in the contract to request for full refund of your downpyment since you sent the cancellation notice within the deadline for cancelling the contract. (3) You need to report the company to your Attorney General's office.

Goodluck with your case,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.