Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I contracted with a company to sell a pick up truck and a RV…

Customer Question
I contracted with a...

I contracted with a company to sell a pick up truck and a RV and they sold it November 2017 they have paid me $18750.00 said they were waiting on bank to pay me the rest. I live in Belize so most of the time they don't even pick up the phone when I call, I am just having a large problem collecting my funds from them. I have asked for the sale price and I get nothing from them. But I was told by the owner that it was the agreed upon amount which would be around 30K. I am wondering if I should get a lawyer involved?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the RV?

Colorado and the RV was a 2009 I believe

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing other than have my brother who lives there try to get them to pay and he got them to give me $9750 two weeks ago after I received a 9000K payment back in Nov. 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I have been calling and they won't answer their phones, but dang I feel like they are using my money to buy cars and stuff for their business it is like they're using me. Not happy about this whole deal.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/2/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This appears to be a breach of contract based on the failure to perform within a reasonable time if they have failed to provide the remaining amount that they promised. At this stage, you may not need a lawyer, but keep it in mind if what I suggest doesn't work.

Courts regularly look toward the Uniform Commercial Code as their guide, since many states have adopted this code into their own statutes. Under UCC Section 2-309(1), the law says that each party has a reasonable time to perform if it is not expressly stated in the contract. What is considered “reasonable” is a matter of fact and depends on the circumstances, but it is an argument that you would have to make that it is unreasonable. Regardless, there is a legal basis for your particular claim. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because all you need to do is click, purchase, and download. Click here to get started. ​What other questions did you have for me today?