Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My 20 yr old son signed a contact that says they will deduct…

Customer Question
My 20 yr old...

My 20 yr old son signed a contact that says they will deduct money from his checking account monthly for one year of 99 a month. He clearly didn’t understand the contactual aspects. He does not have 99 a month for this deduction. He also has a 504 where he has a learning disability. Is there any recourse for getting out of the contract?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is your son in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son taken so far?

He tried sending emails and he called consistently about 7 days out. During that time to no avail. He through away the contract right after the presentation was finished. So I am sure he didn’t read the 3 day cancellation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We closed the account so they’re unable to take money or cause overdraft. They have been sending emails threatening to take him to court to garnish wages. He is in school and does have a part time job, but barely 15 hours a week.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
4/2/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about this situation.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

What is the contract for?

Thank you for your cooperation.

The contract is attached

Thank you for the information. However, I do not review attachment under this thread. Document review is done under the site's premium service for additional fee. You can request for the service by opening a new thread and requesting for document review. I do not participate in that service. Nonetheless, if you want to continue on this thread, you need to provide the information requested.

Thank you for your cooperation.