Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a used 2017 ford f150 with about 17,000 miles on it…

Customer Question
I bought a used...

I bought a used 2017 ford f150 with about 17,000 miles on it on February 17, 2018. The truck still has factory warranty, and I bought an extended warranty also. The day after I got the truck I noticed to outside temp. sensor was about 9 degree off, and the hvac system was totally crazy. It wouldn't let me adjust, it was either very cold or hot. I took it to the local dealer about 3 weeks later when I could get an appointment. The dealer said "nothing is wrong", however I wasn't convienced. I took it back to the dealer and felt with another service writer. He agreed there is an issue. Last Friday March 23, 2018 I get a call... we are going to have to replace the front end of your truck. The grill, headlight assemblies and new painted pieces. All of the brackets are broken and held on by zip ties. Also, we found that the interior temp.sensor has been hacked into. The Forder dealer called the dealer I bought it from since they are the same auto group. The dealer I bought the truck from quickly agreed to fix it ALL. Today is March 30, 2018, and my truck is still in the shop. The front end is fixed, but the hvac system is still not working right. They are now looking for a bad wire. The carfax report I read on my truck (provided by the dealer ) is clean. No wrecks or recalls, no shop work except and an oil change. I'm now concerned as to what else may go wrong. The dealership I bought it from is denying they knew anything about it. I'm totally not satisfied anymore with this. I scared I bought a money pit. Do I have a leg to stand on in getting the contract resended? I haven't made the first payment yet, and I'm not sure I want the truck anymore after all of this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ga

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have notified the dealer of the issues, and the local ford dealer has also. They are the same auto group. I haven't said anything about not wanting it to them. Currently I'm in their 2013 f150 with 70,000 mIles on it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I have a friend at the dealer I purchased at. The general manager know the issues and approved the work, however to my face he denies knowing about the issues.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 day by:
4/1/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

The dealership I bought it from is denying they knew anything about it. I'm totally not satisfied anymore with this. I scared I bought a money pit. Do I have a leg to stand on in getting the contract resended? I haven't made the first payment yet, and I'm not sure I want the truck anymore after all of this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Response: Yes, you do.

Unfortunately, the Georgia Lemon Law only applies to new cars. Thus, you would not be able to avail yourself of the law. However, even if the lemon law does not apply, you would still have remedy if the dealership misrepresented the condition of the car at the time of purchase. Nonetheless, considering the major issues with the car, the dealership would still be held responsible because the dealership should have thoroughly examined the car before putting it up for sale. So, the dealership should have known about all these problems had it been that the dealership did its due diligence--did what it was supposed to do before selling a used car. Also, it is quite interesting that the dealership did not fight you at all about paying for the costs of the repairs. This is a giant sign that the dealership "dropped the ball" here and therefore needs to make you whole by taking the car back and giving you a different one or refunding your downpayment and cancelling the deal.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.