Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a motorcycle in Texas, the guy i bought it from…

Customer Question
I bought a motorcycle...

I bought a motorcycle in Texas, the guy i bought it from sent me a Texas Non Repairable Title as it had been in an accident but i got it running and it is road ready. I live in NM and want to get clear title how do i do this

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in NM

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I just got Texas title today, but i got motorcycle running and it is ready for inspection and to get titled here in NM

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know what issues I will have with it, am I going to be able to title here

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/30/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 25 days ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
i can wait
Consumer Protection Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 25 days ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

I am going to be honest with you here.You cannot register this in either Texas or New Mexico as it is titled.

Reference

A vehicle for which a Nonrepairable Vehicle Title is issued on or after September 1, 2003, may not be rebuilt, retitled, or operated on the public highways. Something Texas does that I like is maintained a database of flood-damaged vehicles in the state.May 16, 2017

State of Texas Salvage Title Laws - ThoughtCo

https://www.thoughtco.com/state-of-texas-salvage-title-laws-description-3308595

Please don't shoot the messenger.You purchased a vehicle with no nrepairable title.You can fiux it as you have done but you cannot fix the title.

Again I am sorry but I am trying to give you honest information.Neither state will touch this.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated, again I wish I had better news.

I need to supplement maybe there is hope after all

Apply for a Texas Salvaged Title

To apply for a salvaged title in Texas, mail the following items to the Department of Motor Vehicles:

• A completed Application for Salvage or Nonrepairable Vehicle Title (Form VTR-441).
  • The car title, properly assigned to you.
  • If applicable, any lien releases.
  • A personal check, cashier’s check, or money order for the $8 salvage title fee, made payable to “Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.”
    • Add $2 if you need a certified copy.

You can send the above items by regular OR express mail:

• Standard mail:
    • Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
    • Vehicle Titles and Registration Division
    • ATTN: Title Control Systems
    • P.O. Box 26450
    • Austin, TX 78755
  • Express mail:
    • Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
    • ATTN: Title Control Systems
    • 4000 Jackson Ave.
    • Austin, TX 78731

Allow the TX DMV at least 6 business days from receiving your application to mail your Texas salvage title back to you.

If you have additional questions about applying for a salvage title, call the TX Department of Motor Vehicles at(###) ###-####

I would try and fix this in Texas where you bought it.Then you can reregister it in NM with the salvage title.You have to fix the title where it was registered first then you can transfer to NM.I gave you Texas contact number above and forms to do this.

You can do this by mail once you get a salvage title then you can register it in NM like any other vehicle with salvage title.

Thanks for letting me supplement and clarify.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you for the info. I appreciste it.

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.Happy Easter.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer