Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have an insurance claim check which was endorsed by my…

Customer Question
I have an insurance...

I have an insurance claim check which was endorsed by my mortgage company. I took the check to my bank Citibank to deposit. They informed me they could not accept the check because of the endorsement placed by my mortgage company. The endorse reads" Without Warranty or Recourse, signed by the Hazard Insurance Manager

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am trying to determine what steps to take. I called my mortgage comapny and they spoke with my banker and informed them that the endorsement is placed on all insurance claim checks they issue. Citibank still indicated their policy is that they dod not accept the endorsement.Are you awarfe of any nationwode bank or Nevada based bank which accepts this endorsement?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I had my mortgage company speak with the banker

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They told me normally this is all that is required

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/30/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
if someone is working on a responseBest
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

H​ello. Let me see if I can assist. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.

What bank is the check drawn on by the insurance company? You may wish to go to that bank (if possible) to cash the check.

If that does not work, I recommend contacting the larger institutions such as Bank of America or Wells Fargo to see what their procedure is for accepting insurance check endorsed by your mortgage lender. The branch manager of one of these banks should be able to assist. If they accept, you can open an account just to deposit the check and then transfer funds to your Citibank account.

If none of those options work, what about opening account and depositing with your mortgage lender's institution. Is your mortgage lender also a bank so you can open an account? Certainly they will accept their own endorsement.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.