Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My husband purchased a car for our daughter to attend

Customer Question
My husband purchased a...

My husband purchased a car for our daughter to attend college. Because he died 02/08/2018. He purchased credit life when he bought it. I have talked to the credit union who financedto to get the title,. However, they say he has two unpaid loans and will nor release the title until the loans are paid. Can they hold the title? One has nothing to do with the other. Can they hold thr title since car is paid in full?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have done nothing so far.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/30/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Y s, I can wait.
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties. My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: Unfortunately, they can. The credit union has right of offset. If one owes money to the credit union, the credit union would attempt to offset the debt from any account that person has with the credit union. This right of offset does not apply when the debt is credit card debt. See Federal Reserve Board's Regulation Z, Section 226.12(d)

<p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt">I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor. <p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt"> <p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt">Best wishes,<p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt"> <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.