Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a vehicle on February 24 at a Honda dealerlership.

Customer Question
Hi, I bought a vehicle...
Hi, I bought a vehicle on February 24 at a Honda dealerlership. Two weeks later they started calling everyday and sending messages to have me come in and sign some papers. Well what they wanted was for me to sign a new application be cause they never got anyone to approve me on my original application. We went back and forth and they decided to take the car back. The day I took the car back they noticed a small scratch and said they're not willing to take it back. What can I do? What are my options?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/30/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Pheobe Clark, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, Lawyer
Congrats!!! Sounds like you were given a free car with no loan. If your original loan was never approved, who were you supposed to make the car payment to every month. If they don’t take the car back, & you never got a loan, then keep the car and make no payments and see if they take legal action. If they take legal action stating you defaulted on the loan, then you can respond saying you were never approved for a loan and the company gave you a car & refused to take it back.
Otherwise, you need to read every document you ever signed at that dealership and see if what rights the dealer had in their contracts. It could say that your ownership of the car was contingent for 30 days based on loan approval. Or it could say that the dealership has the right to continue to find a lender for you after you signed a contract with the dealership. So the documents you sign are very important and need to be read by you or a lawyer very carefully. Perhaps you should retain a consumer law attorney in your area by contacting the bar association in your state. They typically have a lawyer referral service and Can refer you to a lawyer in your area.
If I have provided you adequate guidance on this subject, please provide me with a positive rating of five stars so that I may get credit for the session. Thanks!
Can I upload the contract for you to view?
you may. I will review it and tell you what I find.
Here's the contract
Would you be able to contact the dealership on my behalf?
I'm not sure if they're bluffing but theyre saying if I don't sign anything then they'll just submit what they have
Ok. I will review it now.
Ok. This contract is in your favor. There is a section on page 4 That says sellers right to cancel. This is what the seller should do if they are unable to find Financing. You are under no obligation to sign any thing else. The sellers rights are clearly listed in the section and state that the seller can get the car back if the seller can’t find financing. The seller can charge you for any damage found. The seller cannot force you to keep the car and make payments. So you can keep the car and not make payments until they get their car back according to the seller rights on page 4, or you can Offer to pay them for the damage they say it’s on the car and remind them that this is what they should be doing when they can’t find financing.
Unfortunately just answer is an advice website. I cannot represent you in California. I am licensed in a different state. This is all the advice I can give you. If I have provided you adequate guidance on this matter please provide me with a rating of five stars so that I can get credit for the session. thank you