Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

There was a debit card transaction on January 16th for

Customer Question
$601.89 at Wal-Mart groceries in...
There was a debit card transaction on January 16th for $601.89 at Wal-Mart groceries in AR. I disputed the charges with my bank but after them speaking with the merchant they found the charges were valid. I was told supporting documentation was provided but nothing to me. I contacted Wal-Mart to dispute myself but found no transaction. How and can I file a lawsuit against to get my money back and damages?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/29/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

if a credit/debit card company finds in favor of the merchant the consumer can still sue the merchant. Small claims is appropriate in cases of $5,000 or less; please see:

https://courts.arkansas.gov/sites/default/files/tree/small_claims_info_0.pdf

Basically the plaintiff would file a suit claiming negligence and fraud. Plaintiff would allege the facts for their case and then defendant would need to prove the claim is valid by providing documentation (ie receipts)

Another strategy is to request, within 10 days, proof of the documentation; please see:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0219-disputing-credit-card-charges

The creditor may report the nonpayment to the credit bureaus but they must also report that the consumer disputes it. This is pursuant to Regulation Z of the Act; please see:

https://www.fdic.gov/consumers/assistance/protection/errorresolution.html

When suing a corporation the registered agent must be served; that agent's identity can be located here:

https://www.sos.arkansas.gov/business-commercial-services-bcs/forms-fees/commercial-registered-agents

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.