Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased a vehicle and put 2k personal check as down

Customer Question
I purchased a vehicle...

I purchased a vehicle and put 2k personal check as down payment. It has been 5 months and they did not cash the check. The loan has been transfered to a Bank and not the dealership. Am I still obligated to pay that 2k?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Ca and no

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. I have the funds in my account. Got a voice mail stating that they tried cashing and it didn't go through. I have the funds in my account so there is no reason (if they really did cash it) it would go through.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I'm assuming they want me to write them another check so they can cash it.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/29/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 21 days ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney
Hello. Let me see if I can assist. If the check was part of purchase price, then you are obligated to pay that 2k. The check may have been rejected by your Bank because it may be stale (too old). You may be required to replace that check, upon request. I would wait until you receive demand for a new check. Be sure to ask for the original check back before you provide a new check.
Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.
Lori
Lori
Lori, Attorney