Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If the opposing side is not providing requested documents…

If the opposing side is...
If the opposing side is not providing requested documents and trial is approaching. What do I do?
3/29/2018
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

When something like this happens, a motion to compel needs to be filed. You would want and need to advise the Judge when a demand for these was made and how they were never turned over. The Judge can step in and order that they turn these over in X number of days and they will need to comply.

Do I file the motion to compel with a return date before the trial? Can I postpone the trial?

Yes, you need to file the motion and set it for hearing. Moreover, you can ask to continue or postpone the trial, until the documents are turned over, if the documents are relevant and necessary for and in preparation, thereof.

KnowYourRights
Thank you!

You are welcome