Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can an opposing side hire a per diem attorney who is not…

Can an opposing side hire...
Can an opposing side hire a per diem attorney who is not part of the firm and has no retainer agreement to argue a motion?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

How did they hire them without an agreement? Is this a situation where the attorney is covering and arguing this one issue?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
An opposing side has an attorney who did not show up but sent another attorney to the court. He said he was a per diem attorney. When I asked if he belongs to the same firm , he said no. He said he does not work for the firm. He did not have a business card either. He did not show a retainer agreement either. He came in to argue a motion
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Is it allowed? Is he supposed to at least introduce himself? If he is arguing a motion, is he supposed to include his name in the court records?

Thank you and Yes, this actually happens all the time. They are coverage attorneys and show up for and are hired by the firm representing the other party and the retainer agreement, allows this and their client signs off, allowing it. Moreover, he should state his name for the record, so the Judge knows who he is and the Judge should have asked, unless he is in the courtroom all the time and the Judge knows his name

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The judge seemed like he knew his name. Do I have the right to know his name or he can say that all I need to know is that he is an attorney in fact?

I think you have a right to know his name and he should have stated it and responded to you. You may have a legal basis to file a motion or there would be an issue and you need to know the attorney who was appearing before the court.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights, Lawyer