Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

In civil litigation: if I file a motion and started an oral…

In civil litigation: if I...
In civil litigation: if I file a motion and started an oral argument/presenting my motion, can an opposing side interrupt and talk over me?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. No, they should not. The Judge should step in and allow your time to present your case/argument and then allow opposing counsel to respond. If they keep talking over you and interrupting, you can ask the Judge to ask that they remain silent, so you can speak and present your argument to the Judge, to consider.

I politely ask the judge to stop the opposing side but the judge told me to remain silent and started listening to the opposing side who is an attorney and I am pro se. What should I do? Can I leave the courtroom?

I would ask the Judge to allow you time to respond and a chance to finish your argument and object to theirs. You should not leave the courtroom and if the Judge does not allow you to present your argument and rules, you can ask for a re-hearing or appeal.

I felt extremely uncomfortable, did not know what to do and decided to leave without saying a word and after the opposing side kept talking interrupting me more than 3 times. Could I have possibly been penalized or detained? Am I allowed to leave like this in a situation like this?

It is not something that would result in you being arrested or anything but the Judge may have just ruled once you walked out, so you need to find out the outcome of that hearing, so you know what was ordered. In the future, stay there and wait until you are given a chance to respond. Remind the Judge that it is your motion or your time to respond and to ask opposing counsel to respect that and remain quiet. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

KnowYourRights
Thank you. 5 stars. Thanks for helping with the other questions also

My pleasure and you are VERY welcome