Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am in the process of buying a house and an old judgement,

Customer Question
I am in the...

I am in the process of buying a house and an old judgement, Feb 2007 to be exact, has come up with Amex. I was not aware of that judgement and was out of the country at that time. I was out for over a year. This judement just popped up during the loan application process. What are my options here as I have worked very hard to repair my credit. The judgement is for $6,000. Would greatly appreciate your help

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Judgement was in Maryland. I am in NJ now

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just reached out to you

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

You have a couple of option for dealing with this. As background, a judgment stays on your credit report for 7 years from the date of the judgment. It does not appear that this is an erroneous entry, but it is still being reported beyond the 7 year deadline (assuming the dates you provided are correct). Please confirm which of the three credit bureaus are reporting this judgment and if it is being reported in error, then submit a dispute.

If the dates are wrong, meaning the judgment date was later than 2007 and it is still within the 7 year reporting period, you can pay the judgment and the creditor will report it as a satisfied judgment. Since it is so old, you can probably settle for 50% or 25% of the judgment amount.

If you are not dealing with a mortgage broker, they are the best resource for how to address these issues as they may have additional requirements, for instance a letter explaining why the judgment occurred, and what you did or are doing to resolve it.

Here are links for each bureau's dispute processes:

https://www.experian.com/disputes/main.html

https://dispute.transunion.com/dp/dispute/landingPage.jsp

https://www.equifax.com/personal/disputes/

I am sorry that you are now dealing with this during your home buying process. Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so cost you nothing extra. Experts are independent contractors and customer ratings are the only way we are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your mortgage application and home buying process works out to your satisfaction.

If you are satisfied with my responses to your questions, please accept the answer, and provide a rating (5 stars would be appreciated). It cost you nothing additionally to do so. The experts who answer your questions are independent contractors, and customer ratings are the only way we are compensated for our responses. Thanks, ***** ***** hope everything works out to your satisfaction.