Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a 2007 GMC Acadia and I have been dealing with

Customer Question
transmission problems for at least...
I have a 2007 GMC Acadia and I have been dealing with transmission problems for at least 2 years. I have documentation from 2 different mechanics stating that the transmission needed to be rebuilt which would cost $3k-$5k. I did not have the money so could not get the repairs. Through research, I found that GMC issued an extended warranty for this problem where they would repair the transmission free of cost if the vehicle was within 129k miles or 10 years which ever comes first. Of course, at the time I found out about the extended warranty, my vehicle was beyond these parameters. When I had the vehicle inspected, it was within the parameters and I have documentation to prove that. I never received written notification from GMC about the extended warranty and when I called GM they said the vehicle was still listed under the previous owner so the information was sent to them. Is there anything I can do about this??
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/27/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if the ownership records never changed, you cannot pursue GM for the failure to give notice. However, if you can show it has been through the dealer for repairs and the dealer failed to identify the warranty or that this was a problem within the time limits, you can seek to pursue the dealer for negligence in failure to make proper repairs and seek damages from the dealer for not putting the vehicle under the warranty and for failure to make the warranty repairs as required.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Shouldn't ownership information be updated when the vehicle is registered? I bought the vehicle used, is it the used dealership's responsibility to update GM?

Thank you for your reply.

It was the dealer's liability, not GM and the vehicle would not get updated with GM when it was registered.

The failure to make repairs under the warranty when you brought it in within the time period was on the dealer and the failure to notify GM of the new owner is on the dealer if you bought it from a dealer. But either way, the dealer gets service notices and updates and when they saw the transmission issue they were supposed to check the updates and should have notified you at that time.