Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Back in December 2017 my overdrive went on my truck I

Customer Question
Back in December 2017...

Back in December 2017 my overdrive went on my truck I brought it to aamcco total care transmission and it was fixed in two days. I ended up waiting a month to get help with getting it back this company has 14 loan companies they go thru but neglected to give me more than 3 even declined my mother with perfect credit. When I did get money I offered 2000 which my bill was 2150 and the manager took it. I continued to ask mike b for the receipt on what repairs were done on my truck he said he misplaced it in his shuffle of papers and I finally got a printed one 3 weed later. I was not verbally asked nor phoned for any of the repairs nor putting in a new starter which was performed. As I picked up my truck there were scratches and a dent on the the passenger side. I brought my truck in to get rechecked they did not check it but did replace two headlights I asked them to replace as I was getting into my truck I noticed my garmen on the floor with a shattered screen. I immediately brought it in and told mike b I cannot let this go this has to be replaced he said he would take care of it. On March 19 my transmission went out and was left stranded on the road I had to call mike b and waited over an hour for a tow truck. I ended up getting a rental car and this going on the second week. I’ve almost lost my job in this whole ordeal. It has caused me a lot of money not to mention a lot of anxiety and stress. My knife was stolen also out of my truck while in there care. Mike b put on my invoice also that I can only return to his shop for any repairs do I have a case of fraudulent repairs

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

This is in Tampa Bay Florida I am just here working a job. I am from Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I’ve tried to deal with the owner Jose and mike b with these matters and they are unwilling to repair the damage to my truck nor replace the 250 garmen I’ve been getting the run around for the last two weeks. When Jose said the vehicle would be done he said they took it out for a test drive and heard noises so they kept it and said they’d call me when it’s done. For the same repairs the first time it was done in two days. They are very aware of my situation and I believe I am getting treated very unfairly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The owner mike b had offered me a room in his house for rent and I accepted it so he is very aware of my situation while living there I had to get a ride to work and that’s how I almost got terminated he would get me there late. I was living in a house that was infested with rats and cockroaches this whole situation has been a nightmare I have since found another place.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you can prove they did not make the repairs they claimed to have made, then it would be a claim for fraudulent repair. However, if they did make those repairs, even though they did not call you, they would be entitled to payment for the repairs. If they stole or damaged property while the truck was in their care, then they would be liable to you for the damage they caused. Thus, you can sue them in small claims court for the scratches, the damage to your Garmin and loss of your knife.

Also, if they will not repair the transmission if it went out again under warranty, you could sue them for the cost of repairs for breach of warranty. However, if they do repair the transmission again under their warranty, that is all they are obligated to do.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.