Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If I had an auto loan and was in an accident last year, my…

Customer Question
If I had an...

If I had an auto loan and was in an accident last year, my insurance totaled the vehicle paying $ 14000 toward the principle on a 6 year loan, my payments were current up to the accident and 3 months after, the loan provider hit me for a late fee in January when I didn't have a payment due for another 48 months and my credit score dropped 51 points as a result. do I have a case against the provider?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Florida, the issue began February 28th

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Only that I contacted the provider, asked what was owed, I was told # to pay off the loan entirely301

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

$301 to pay off the loan entirely sorry

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/27/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 28 days ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under Florida law, the lender is required to provide GAP insurance, which means that if the car is totaled, the lender has to accept whatever the insurance company pays as full and final settlement of the loan amount.

They cannot come after you for any gap in the payment. You are not responsible. If the lender does not comply and let you off the hook, then you can go to the Florida Attoreny General who will enforce this for you. You can file a complaint against the lender here:

http://www.myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Main/E3EB45228E9229DD85257B05006E32EC

Please rate five stars ***** and by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is always appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer