Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am told that I owe a debt that was not charged by me. It…

I am told that...

I am told that I owe a debt that was not charged by me. It was from a downline agent that I had no idea still wrote business and noe they are coming after me. How can this be resolved because I dont want to pay it and let this other agent go free.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Okay

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Im in Texas. No attorney or advocate.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing other than explaining to them that this was no my financial responsibility. However, they want me to start making payments on this debt.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What will happen if I refuse to pay this?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Consumer Protection Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Is this lawyer familiar with the insurance industry?

3/26/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Demand proof of debt. Do so in writing. If not produced must be discontinued under the fair debt collection act. Counsel can intervene to convey this too.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!
Thank you. Are they legally right by trying to pursue me for debt that was caused by another agent who just let it roll up to me?
Not right. No contractual or other obligation.
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Infolawyer, Lawyer