Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was wondering if you could give me advice. I have a legal…

Customer Question
I was wondering if...

I was wondering if you could give me advice. I have a legal question

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I'm not sure if I need a lawyer or not. That's why I was trying to ask the question.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I guess I'll tell him everything.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I put 2 bad checks in my bank account totaling 2800. The bank said I can give them 2300 tomorrow and they will work with me. Can they still press charges even if I'm paying them back
3/27/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 25 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, the bank may still press charges against you even if you pay back the bad checks. So, you should be careful of what you are agreeing to do with the bank.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The bank said. If I brought in 2300 tomorrow she would work with me. So I give them that I can still be charged.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Should I get a lawyer

Response: I understood your initial question. The answer is unfortunately still yes.

You may consider getting an Attorney. However, the amount involved is relatively small. So, you may have a hard getting an Attorney.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Well the account is overdrawn 4100 with the fees included. I made a mistake and I'm just trying to fix it. I can't afford to go to jail right now I'm a single mother and I take care of my sick dad. Can you tell me what I should do?

Thank you for the information.

You can pay the amount the bank is asking you to pay and have a written agreement with the bank not to press charges. You should also set up a payment plan for the rest.

Best wishes,

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK the checks was from a closed account would they still take the payment plan and give me the written contract.

Unfortunately, I do not know what the Bank would ultimately decide to do.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law