Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I left deposit fon June 6 2017 for my home office exterior…

I left deposit fon...

I left deposit fon June 6 2017 for my home office exterior door for the amount of $3,800.00 and the store in Queens promises to have them for pick up from 13-18 weeks. It's been about 10 months. They have no answer for mee. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

New York Queens

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing yet just ask them on the phone. I went there 5 times

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know what to do I need best advise

3/26/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The first step is to contact the store in writing and inform them they promised the product would be ready in 13-18 weeks and as it is now far exceeded that time, you are terminating the contract and demanding a refund of your deposit. If they do not reply to your letter and refund your money, then your next step is you would file suit against the store in the small claims court and seek a refund of your deposit for breach of contract.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

It is the proper amount $3800 to be taking care by small claims court?
how much money I have to ad to this case ?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, in NYC, the small claims maximum is $5000.

You do not have to add anything to the case, it is a breach of contract and you would seek your actual losses which is all the law says you can seek.

do I have a chance to get my money back ?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, if you did not get what you ordered, then you do indeed have a right to your money back due to the breach of contract.

What happen is the will claim bankrupt ?
I have a bag in my cell phone and have a hard time to use my phone
I have to go to visit apple store for help
I can't dil on my phone
I'm on my laptop with you

Thank you for your reply.

If he is bankrupt, then you would get nothing. However, it is highly unlikely he will go bankrupt over $3800, he would need to own many more people a lot more money than that.

I'm not the only one. There is more customers
My computer is slow and needs to restart for updates

Thank you for your reply.

If the store is bankrupt and has filed for bankruptcy, then I am afraid none of the customers will get their money back, but they can file as creditors by filing a proof of claim form in the bankruptcy court where the company filed bankruptcy and if there is money left in the bankruptcy then you can still get something back.