Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is it possible for a US citizen to get prescriptions filled…

Is it possible for a...
Is it possible for a US citizen to get prescriptions filled through a mail order pharmacy located in another country? If yes, how do I make that happen?
3/26/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

No, it is not legal to purchase drugs from another country. Even if the drugs are drugs available over here, if they are manufactured in another country and haven't been vetted by the FDA, it's illegal to import them. And, of course, it's illegal to order any drugs online from anywhere without a valid prescription from a US doctor who has seen the patient very recently.

Best not to do this. A lot of these online pharmacies are known to the government. Their addresses are flagged and your package will be impounded by customs which will institute forfeiture proceedings. A lot more are illegal pharmacies to begin with. Some will send you counterfeit drugs or nothing at all. Others are just looking to commit identity theft with your credit card number or to blackmail you with the risk of exposure.

It's simply not worth it.

Thanks.

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer