Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I recently purchased an RV trailer. I will live in it, while…

Customer Question
I recently purchased an...

I recently purchased an RV trailer. I will live in it, while my daughter decides where she and her family (husband and 14 y/o son will live, after Harvey wrecked their home. At that point, I'll decide where to build. For this reason, monthly payments were critical. I wanted to save money. I never buy on monthly payments;, but in this case, monthly payments was the only way to save money. This may sound like tmi, but you'll nee it further down. So the payments on the one i wanted came to $440/month. I said,

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

TX. ..well 440 does not equal 400. So they bfought in he GM and the F&I guy, who later came back, beating their chests thrt they hjad managed a 380 payment

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

But wait. That's not all! After several days of waiting, I called several times and on the last time, would you believe They found a way for me to buy it with $380 payents and $6,000 down. they were so proud--not because of the payment, but because my reaction was perfect for their next move. AFTER agreeing to purchase, they send you over to the GM and the F& I guy, who SELL you a warranty for $6,199, a paint treatment for $3.000, and something else for another $3,000 or so. So now the payments are /$440/mo. What dk I do at that point? I've already bought, basically--certainly would be difficult to back out, as much as I wish I had.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The second issue is that I told them clearly what the payments needed to bek, and that the total expense of buying it, including insurance, lot rent, payments, storage of my furniture. So they asked "How much did you budget for insurance? $100/month, I said. +OH they all said. That's way to high. Figure $50---so this goes on until I now find myself moving from a very comfortabedl 2,300 square ft house to a probably 900 sq ft trailerm, I agreed tp tjes tjhijgs under a certain pressure, but I agreed. Of course if I could force them to give me the add-ons that put the payments so high, I would (with your help); If ( can't but thre cooing off laws would let me retiurn it, I would ; IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO. YOU WILL NEED THER CLOING DATE. I'LL SEND THAT NEXT.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
I omitted the reason the payments came in higher was that the add-ons (warranties and treatments) were presented as "must haves". Well if they're so necessary, they should have been presented with the product (trailer in this case) By the3 time Igot to GM and F& I, I had already signed twice, a contract (I thought). At that pointk they pretty much had me by the short hair. If I shouldn't by an RV wiuthout buying this, IT SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THE SALES PRESENTATION AND THE MONTHLY PAyments I agreed to. To wait until all is signed, as I was led to believe; and all I am coming back for is to sign the loan docs. Well the loan documents already had the $9,000 or more worth of "must-haves" included an ready for me to sign, which I stupidly did.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
3/26/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your question.

Are you asking if you can decline the purchase because the three-day cooling off period is in effect?

Kindly clarify.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Good questions that shouldn’t
Even have to be asked. I’m asking if
It is too late amend or cxl the contract because I bought it under the SELLING
PROPOSITION that1). pmts would be $384, but with the “MUST HAVES” (my term based on their descriptions) came to $440/mo. 2) They Said insurance would
Only cost, and offered to find it for me, $50/mo. It’s TWICE that amount.
Bot***** *****ne: THEY LIED
CLOSING
WAS MORE
THAN 3 Days ago.

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Because of the material misrepresentations, it is not too late to cancel the contract if the dealer refuses to amend the contract to address your concerns. However, if I were you, I would try to completely cancel the contract and not deal with this dealership because they are appear to very unscrupulous. If your downpayment is not returned, you can file a Small Claim at the Justice of Peace Court for the return. You can obtain complaint forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office or online if the Court makes forms available online.

You should also file complaint with your Attorney General's Office and the Better Business Bureau.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.