Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I had a question answered yesterday with regards to an

I had a question answered...
I had a question answered yesterday with regards ***** ***** online company duping me for almost $20,000. Wanted to know the options available. People involved said they would be there to help me with the websites, coaching to sell on Amazon, help with obtaining corporate credit. They enticed with the words, "How would you like to make $5,000/month to pay off all the credit cards. I will help your through the whole thing. I've done this for 15 years." In the end, after 1 year and going through someone else who said the same thing, neither helped at all. Promises, requests for information on all sides was never received. Finally in frustration, I told the last person, "Forget the whole thing." He would never give me any information or help in getting the website up and running to make money, did not go any further after modules completed for the corporate credit. The company took down the website and indicated that I had graduated from the "coaching" for Amazon. I did not receive one penny of income to pay anything towards the $20,000. I had also been requesting for some kind of refund due to all the frustration and time involved and the fact of "no income coming." All that was said, "I'm working on it. I will let you know." Nothing came from any of it. Was indicated that several things could be done. In the beginning, yes, contracts signed. I tried to cancel within 72 hrs. Again, "I will be there to help you to make the money." They wanted a "continuation contract" signed. I have attached it. My plan was to dispute with credit card company but in looking at the contract again, I have noticed it says no dispute with CC. The whole problem I have with all of this is they took $20,000 and gave and left me with nothing as had been indicated. Is there anything I can do? I am sure I am not the only one they have done this too. Can't even find them through BBB and there is not much feedback on the internet about the two companies involved. Thank you for your assistance.
3/25/2018
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What you will need to do is sue the company for fraud and breach of contract. Now the issue is that you can no longer find them and therefore you don't know who to sue. What you should do is reach out to your credit card company, notify them of the dispute. Even though the continuation contract might say no dispute with CC; it doesn't mean that you cannot still do that. They have breached the contract with you, and therefore, you are permitted to do what you can to protect yourself from further damages.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
They are located in Utah. I don't have the funds or time to go through a lawsuit. There is phone contact but they won't let me talk with a person who is in a higher position in the company which I tried several times to do before I said, "forget it." Would the card company be able to go off of emails that I have sent to both people involved indicating there had been no contact, the concerns that I kept asking about and the time frame involved with it all? I am having to work majorly to pay off all these cards meaning I travel all over Southern CA for my job and go into patients home for infusions. I am already frazzled by it all. I can't even retire because of it all. I just turned 65 this year. Would they be able to come back at me. Thank you for your time and answers. Appreciate it.

What you should do is present whatever info you have to the credit card company so they can dispute the charges. They will then hopefully do an investigation and reverse the charges. It is possible that the person would eventually try to come after you for the money if the credit card company reverses the charges; however, if they have gone into hiding then it is more likely than not that they will not try to recoup their money since it is a fraud.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
They haven't gone into hiding. I can call them with regards ***** ***** Amazon part that is still available. They didn't help with corporate credit and the took down the websites. Both of them. I also can't take a risk that they would come after me. How Likely is that? They have all my money plus millions more with the huge amounts they charge to do this crap. Sorry

It's possible that they come after you if you dispute the charges, but you would not really be worse off then you are right now. The most they could come after you for is the amount that you are required to pay them under the contract. If you dispute the charges and the credit card company reverses the charges, then they are only going to sue you to try to get the money back. At that point, you might be able to get them to settle for a lesser amount or they might drop everything because they know that they didn't perform their part of the bargain.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
OK. I would imagine they would do it just because the "continuation" said no CC dispute. Thank you again for your time and answers. Have a good night.

I hope this has been helpful. Is so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today. 5 stars would be greatly appreciated!

Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you for your response and following up. I Have checked into 2 of the credit cards companies. One is in dispute now. The other is sending 2 years of statements for me to go through & mark charges. It has been suggested that I try to find someone who is willing to do it on a contingency basis. I would not be able to afford to do it otherwise. So, questions. Once a dispute has been started and it does not go in my favor, would a lawyer be able to do anything after. Also, is going with a contingency lawyer OK. So far, there doesn't seem to be an issue with filing CC disputes after a year, has not been a road block. Again, thank you for your assistance. Have a nice day.

Yes, you could still find a lawyer and have them bring a lawsuit if you are able to find the company; however, it might be difficult to find a lawyer who would take the case on a contingency fee basis as attorneys are less and less taken cases on a contingency fee basis.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Well I guess that won't happen then in getting a lawyer. Will have to take chances on credit card company give some refunds. I do have someone who is a paralegal & she can write or help with what documents are needed & how to fill them out.
Thank you for your feedback & will ask for your help in the future if needed. Appreciate your time.
Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer