Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a car and loan company activated loan insurance…

Customer Question
I bought a car...

I bought a car and loan company activated loan insurance policy. I was unable to finish paying for the car and the loan company was unable to repo the car, loan company collected the balance from the insurance company. I still have the car, am I required by law to pay the insurance company to get my title or since is an insurance policy I paid for they should release my title.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

SC

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I contacted them the ask for the balance it’s been a year now they still haven’t sent my title or written any letter

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/25/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I don’t understand, I have paid but I don’t want a monthly account
Consumer Protection Lawyer: HCLegal, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
HCLegal
HCLegal, Lawyer
HI and thank you for your question. The bot***** *****ne is that it depends on how the insurance contract was written. Most of the insurance policies that I have seen will make your monthly payment if you become unemployed or disabled. If that is the case and that is the type of insurance that you had and it paid off the car then YES you should get the title from the car finance company. The finance company should have sent it directly to you and not the insurance company.I would first call the finance company and ask them why they haven’t sent you the title if the car was paid off. If they sent it to the insurance company you should call them and demand that they send you the title.If they don’t then you might have a claim against them for things such as breach of contract or conversion. You would need to contact an attorney in your area to assist you if they don’t give you the title.Please let me know if you have any other questions. If not please be sure to leave me positive feedback as that is the only way that I will get credit for answering your question today.Thanks!Customer