Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Bought a used motorcycle and I just found out it was a

Customer Question
Bought a used motorcycle...

Bought a used motorcycle and I just found out it was a rebuilt salvage bike. It was not disclosed to me before I bought the bike. Do I have any recourse like I would have with a car.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

State of Alabama No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just found out so nothing

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/23/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

The answer to your question is yes, you can have some recourse. This appears to be a case of fraudulent misrepresentation. Basically, fraudulent misrepresentation is when someone intentionally makes material statement or makes a material omission that induces someone else to enter into an agreement. Under Alabama law, the claimant must prove he or she was reasonable in relying on the allegedly fraudulent statement. In this case, if they failed to discloose its salvage nature to get you to buy, then you may have a case.

The other party can also be held liable for negligent misrepresentation if they state a fact that induces the other party to enter into an agreement without having reasonably checked on the accuracy of their statements. A fraudulent or negligent misrepresentation can lead to the rescindment of a contract in addition to a payment of damages to the other party who was misled.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter that they return to you the value you overpaid for the bike. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer