Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What are my options with a company who indicated they would…

What are my options with...
What are my options with a company who indicated they would help with services for making money online through several websites, sell through Amazon & an affiliate site, help get business credit cards to get charges off personal credit cards and paying almost $20,000 nearly 10 plus months ago. Two companies involved with two different people only to be told over and over they are working on, (any of the above) and not one penny of income obtained. First company failed to help then was transferred to an affiliate with same results. I finally said, "Forget the whole >>> thing." They are not speaking and have removed the 2 websites without ever getting them to sell anything. I paid money and all of it was excuse after excuse, delay after delay. I don't want all of the money back but to entice through, "Do you want to make $5,000/month to pay off everything and then Nothing comes from it but increased debt. Only able to sell through Amazon at this time but did not finish all of coaching. Refuse to talk with me. Tried to withdraw within 72 hrs but told they would be there to help. Asked if anyone else was having this problem and was told, "No." Asked to speak with higher management. Refused. Credit card companies usually side on merchants side & not consumer. Want to dispute some of the charges with CC companies. Would it provide any ability to obtain some form of refund? Thank you for your response.
3/23/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is fine. Whenever Zoey. Thank you.

The first step, and you've already tried to do that, would be to see what you could negotiate with the company, since they did not deliver on all that they promised you. If they are not interested in making things right, you can contact your credit card company and explain that you feel that you've been cheated and ask them to initiate a chargeback. They will open up a dispute and investigate. If it goes your way, you'll get some money back, though more likely the company will tell your card carrier that you have a contract with them, and you may not recover anything.

If so, you can contact a lawyer and have him send a strong letter to the company. Right now, you wouldn't be paying for anything other than for a letter, so the cost should be reasonable. If you didn't get all that was promised you and if the company's marketing policies were deceptive, the letter could mention their breach of contract and talk about their deceptive advertising and misrepresentations of their program in violation of the Fair Trade Practices Act and ask them to settle up with you. It should put them on notice that if they fail to come up with an appropriate settlement, you'll exercise your rights under law. A suit under the Fair Trade Practices Act would result in treble damages if you are successful. If these folks aren't out and out frauds, such a letter should scare a reasonable company into taking some kind of action to help make things right for you.

If that doesn't work, there are other things that you can do You can, for example, report them to the Better Business Bureau at www.BBB.org, citing their deceptive and fraudulent dealings. You can make a consumer complaint with your State Attorney General's Office and, for that matter, with the\Attorney General's Office where the companies are based.

You can also send a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission, since they are cracking down heavily on sites of this sort. You can find them at www.FTC.gov

Finally, if nothing has succeeded, you would have to hire a civil litigator and sue them for breach of their contract with you and for their deceptive marketing. That is apt to be pricey unless your losses are limited enough so that you can do this yourself in small claims court. But you may be able to find a lawyer who will take the matter on contingency. That's where you only pay their expenses and filing fees. The lawyer doesn't take his salary until he wins the case, at which point he gets about 40% of the judgment.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh I'm sure they will say there is a contract. I understand that but they didn't provide any help in almost a year but excuses. I would not be able to fight it in court and would not give me time to do anything since I am traveling all over Southern CA for my job to try to pay all the cards off. They had me do the contract several times and indicated I could not get any money back. They didn't do what they said they would do and that is wrong. I know you understand all of this but this is so wrong that these companies are out there and they take consumers money and give excuses over and over. They are out of Utah. I tried to find them through BBB. Nothing. I will do all of the above but going through the litigation. More than likely they would win. Again, thank you for your time and assistance. I would have taken a call but am with a patient right now for my job.

I understand, the situation. That's why I presented you with the free or mostly free remedies first. Sometimes just stirring them up with a letter from a lawyer and filing consumer complaints with state and Federal agencies can turn a company around.

Suing them is, of course, a last resort. But it's the ultimate option when nothing else works. Talk to your accountant. This could be some kind of a business loss and you should be able to write off some of this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Appreciate your responses.

You're very welcome. Enjoy the weekend.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer