Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I used my Santander MasterCard to start a layaway on a

Customer Question
I used my Santander...

I used my Santander MasterCard to start a layaway on a sweater and a used Louis Vuitton bag. I wasn’t able to complete the layaway and the store kept the $361 deposit and the merchandise. They refused to give me a store credit. I disputed the charge with the bank who decided against me. The bank said the charge was authorized. Is there anything I can do to get my money back? I’m positive the store went on to sell the sweater and handbag, so they double-dipped on the same sale while I’m left with nothing. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: You can email***@******.***. JustAnswer is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So if our Customer Care team can't address your issue, and it's been 30 days or less since you paid to ask your question, they will refund your money. What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

The state is NJ. My first dispute to the bank under MasterCard protection was 12/28/17. I appealed the dispute on 2/27/18.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I disputed the charge with Santander twice and lost.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want my money back!

Lawyer's Assistant: You can email***@******.***. JustAnswer is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So if our Customer Care team can't address your issue, and it's been 30 days or less since you paid to ask your question, they will refund your money.

The $361 back, not a Just Answer fee.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/24/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Still waiting...
Please answer
Ok waiting
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Well, the store's action is illegal.

Your bank should not have sided against you because eventhough you authorized the charge, you never received the merchandise.

The store must return your money. If not, you need to file complaint with your Attorney General's Office. If the Office does not resolve your issue, then you need to file a Small Claim. You should also ask the Court to order the store to pay for your Court fees. This is just ridiculous.

Click here for Small Claim forms and instructions.

Goodluck with your case,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.