Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Should I contact an attorney? I am a resident of Florida, a…

Should I contact an...

Should I contact an attorney?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

I am a resident of Florida, a very youthful and active 77 year old independent widow who lives alone. I was at my kitchen sink preparing to feed my cat and when I turned to bend down to pick up her bowl, my Reef sandal picked up the area rug which came up and connected to the bottom of my sandal and I fell very hard on my backside on the kitchen floor. I have worn the flip flop sandals for 15 years and was going to go to the pool at my condo to swim following breakfast. The reef sandle has a bottle opener in the soles and as I turned it looped into a loop of the area rug (which was fairly new). I never thought the carpet would be a problem as I don't go barefoot and a toe wouldn't enter one of these loops. Both products however should be taken off the market and consequently I will be healing for many months at a minimum. I fractured my pelvis and my sacrum in the fall, resulting in extreme pain since the fall on March 4 and was transferred on March 7 from Palm Beach Gardens Med. Center to the Gardens Court and expected to be here for rehabilitation for several more weeks. Please tell me the action I should take for this setback in my life and how you suggest I proceed. Sarah Ryan

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have been too ill and in too severe pain to address it. Medicare is covering my bills and I have supplemental BC BS of RI.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. That's the whole story.

3/23/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

So sorry for your accident.

It sounds like a potential claim for product liability.

The claim could be based upon the defective design and a duty to warn on the part of the company selling these flip flops.

You would want to retain an attorney with experience in personal injury and product liability claims. Most of these types of cases are done on contingency fee. So, it should not cost you any attorney fees or other expenses upfront.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Also, The Florida Bar maintains an excellent online referral program:

FLORIDA BAR ATTORNEY REFERRAL

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you. The only attorney that was referred to me on this site was in Martin Co, not my county of Palm Beach.
When I called them they suggested I google one in PB County which I will do.
This is all I need.
I have not yet received a confirmation to my repeated requests to cancel by free trial. Today is just day 1, ok for the
initial charge of $5. but waiting for the confirmation that I have cancelled and there will be no further charges. Sarah Ryan

Please be aware that I, and the other Experts on the site, are site users like you (I am not an employee of JA), and I do not (and can not) see any account info or address payment issues, but Customer Service will be happy to assist you.

If you are having trouble, you can reach Customer Service assistance at this link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

where you can chat, call, or send a support request. You can also email directly to***@******.***

Thanks.

Loren, Lawyer