Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What is the difference between opposition papers and reply…

What is the difference between...
What is the difference between opposition papers and reply papers? If I filed a motion to dismiss and the opposing party filed motion for summary judgement, do I file opposition or reply papers or both?
3/23/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

An Opposition is filed in response to a Motion. A Reply is filed in response to an Opposition. A Reply also cannot raise new arguments or rehash what is in the original Motion, but the Opposition can. If they've filed a Motion for Summary Judgment, rather than an Opposition to your Motion to Dismiss, you'll file an Opposition to Motion for Summary Judgment. They will then be able to file a reply, addressing only issues that you raised for the first time in your Opposition.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

They filed: Notice of Cross Motion/ opposition to the motion. What do I file back?

Opposition to Cross Motion/Reply to Opposition.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
thank you!