Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a medical bill for $4810.00 that I highly disagreed…

Customer Question
I have a medical...

I have a medical bill for $4810.00 that I highly disagreed to sign for any treatment at the time. Last April I went thru a tough time and attempted to say goodbye to this world but thought it was making a mistake. Well long story short I had to go to treatment for 5 days (forced into by my parents) which I thought was for 48 hours. I told the lady that I was fine and wanted to go home after the 48 hours but they ending up keeping me there for another 3 days as I persisted in saying I am fine I cannot afford this I need to go home. Now I stuck with this bill. I just tried to call which is now a collection agency to get clarification of the bill and she said I owe what I owe and says goodbye. I hope that makes sense

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Really to be honest i just forget about it was a rough time in my life but now I want it off of my credit

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/23/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties. I am relieved that you are doing much better.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You need to contact the Credit Reporting Agencies (CRAs) where the information is showing and dispute the information. Pursuant to Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”), CRAs have up to 45 days to investigate the information and get back to you. As part of this inquiry, the CRAs would send inquiry to the reporter of the information to verify or correct the information. If the reporter verifies the information, the derogatory information would stay on your record. However, you be given a opportunity to write a statement regarding the dispute, which would become part of your record. On the other hand, if the reporter corrects the information in your favor or fails to respond to the inquiry, the CRAs would delete the information from you credit file and send you an updated credit report.

In the meantime, you should sent a cease and desist to the collection agency to stop contacting you immediately with regard to this debt because you do not owe it. Once you do this, the collection agency is prevented by Fair Debt Collection Practices Act from contacting you with regard to the debt. However, the collector may file lawsuit against you, which you can then respond to by showing that you do not owe the debt because you did not approve the treatment provided to you. Click here for sample cease and desist letter.

https://debt-n-credit-letters.com/stopping-collection-calls/

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.